Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Day 45 - Sea Olympics!

Sunday, March 8, 2008

Today is the heavily anticipated Semester at Sea Spring 2008 Sea Olympics. Opening ceremonies started at 9am but our sea, the Bering Sea, got together a little after 8 to go over what we were going to do for the opening ceremonies. Every sea comes in one by one then does a short 3-5 minute chant/song/skit. The order of when people comes in is determined by the 3
previous Sea Captain challenges. Once the opening ceremonies are done, the games begin and go until 7 when the lip sync competition is, followed by the closing ceremonies where they announce the winners.

Some of the many many events include: Tug-O-War, mens and womens dodge ball, synchronized swimming, a swim relay, scrabble, poker, uno, volleyball, soccer, twister, mash potato sculpting, sea bowling (rolling bars of soap across the deck in between a caution sign scores a point), photo contest, scavenger hunt, toilet paper fashion show, Dean Ken says (same as simon says except it's what our Dean Ken says), pie eating contest, flip cup (with water), pictionary, and i'm sure there's others that I can't think of now. As mentioned before, I competed in flip cup and dodge ball. We had a pretty weak showing in both of them. For dodge ball we only had one inflated ball (same as a kick ball) and two deflated balls that had popped in the game previous to ours. It came down to one-on-one with me and one guy from the other team, while I was going to go pick up the inflated ball it got hit with the deflated ball. So we were out in the first round. Later in the day I started our team of 10 off in flip cup. I got our team off to a good start but around the middle of our line we ran into some inexperienced people who
kept on trying to flip their cup while they still had some water in it. We were out in the first round of flip cup also.

The day ended with the Lip Sync competition, which was hilarious. For some reason a lot of guys on the ship enjoy dressing up as girls and dancing to girly-songs. I recorded a couple of the seas on my video recorder but missed the best one, which was my sea's. I'm going to try to get a copy of it from someone though because it really was awesome. It mixed a variety of songs from The Lion King to Greese. Very entertaining to say the least.

The Bearing Sea ended up tied for 5th, which I think is respectable since we're a smaller sea and there are 9 seas on the ship.

We crossed the equator again tonight around 9. We're now sailing in the North Eastern Hemisphere.

No comments: